In my last post I quoted John Dewey, and my educational philosophy aligns with his Progressivist views. I am also a bit of a Social Reconstructionist. I want my students to be responsible citizens and good stewards. Inspired by two stories on the CBS show “Sunday Morning,” I created an activity for level 1 to get them thinking about community service and volunteerism. They did pre- and post-viewing activities in Spanish about two video clips that I showed them in English. I was very excited about this lesson because we were incorporating grammar and vocabulary that we are studying, but doing so on a meaningful topic. The themes in level 1 tend to be superficial, so I was eager for the change. Here are the activities we did:
- Are you ready for AP Spanish Exam day?
- También la lluvia
- Día Internacional de la Eliminación de la Violencia contra la Mujer
- La película “Sleep Dealer”
- Resources for teaching HLL’s
- National Board Renewal WLOE-EAYA
- Games for Spanish Class
- Free Voluntary Reading
- El Salvador trip for teachers?