In my last post I quoted John Dewey, and my educational philosophy aligns with his Progressivist views. I am also a bit of a Social Reconstructionist. I want my students to be responsible citizens and good stewards. Inspired by two stories on the CBS show “Sunday Morning,” I created an activity for level 1 to get them thinking about community service and volunteerism. They did pre- and post-viewing activities in Spanish about two video clips that I showed them in English. I was very excited about this lesson because we were incorporating grammar and vocabulary that we are studying, but doing so on a meaningful topic. The themes in level 1 tend to be superficial, so I was eager for the change. Here are the activities we did:
- El Salvador trip for teachers?
- Remedios Varo
- Como agua para chocolate
- Cooperative Learning and Languages
- Mentoring a pre-service teacher
- Chilean New Song Movement
- My pre-AP and AP Spanish course syllabi
- Teaching materials created by others
- Acentos perdidos
- Ernesto “Che” Guevara: ¿Héroe revolucionario?